Everything is fine

We had a very eventful weekend.  Friends came over Saturday afternoon, and then just as we were sitting down to watch a movie (Drive…good but very graphic), a tree fell on our house.  There was minimal damage, but it definitely changed the tone of our weekend.

Feb 029 300x225 Everything is fineLuckily, Tanner’s family has a friend with extensive experience in cutting down trees.  His actual response was “oh, that’s just a twig.”  So with the help of Tanner’s father and said friend, it was taken down within a couple hours, and the only damage was some scratches and dings in the siding and some torn shingles.  We were lucky on all counts.

Feb 049 300x225 Everything is fine

 

Small changes, big impact

When we bought this house, there weren’t house numbers.  Scratch that, there were house numbers, they just weren’t on the house.  They were on a dilapidated lantern (connected to the house by an extension cord buried in the ground!) located at the front of the yard.  Well, it didn’t take long for the “numbers” part of the lantern to break, making it very difficult for new people to find our house.

Feb 026 225x300 Small changes, big impactSome time later we bought new house numbers, and more time later they were installed.  Yay! We finally had house numbers! Several months after that, we decided to paint the house gray, which was really exciting.  Then we realized that the house numbers that we had practically just put up weren’t going to work.  They were brushed nickel and would completely blend in with the paint, essentially rendering them useless.

570d3584 5b4a 4876 a378 b89effa91aae 300 Small changes, big impact

The only options were to buy new house numbers or to paint what we already had, so I took a page from Sherry’s (from Young House Love) playbook and suggested we paint them oil-rubbed bronze.  Our mailbox had been spray-painted to match the previous house color, so that obviously needed an update as well.  The mailbox thus joined our house numbers on the way to oil-rubbed-bronze-ville.

  Feb 0251 225x300 Small changes, big impact

We’re happy with the results; we might even stick with this mailbox–it’s not so ugly anymore.  To see the big picture and also the before, check out yesterday’s post.

A whole new house

So I failed to mention this before, but we actually did finish painting the house in November, which made for some very cold mornings on the roof of the back porch.

Nov 002 300x225 A whole new house

Both of our fathers came up to help.

And now that Tanner has been working hard to replace the trim, it’s starting to look really great–almost better than I thought possible.

20th St 006 300x225 A whole new house

The day we closed on the house 3 years ago

Yes, that is an old fridge sitting on the front porch.  In this image, it’s tough to see how bad the paint really was.  To see a close-up, check out this post from when we first started this project.

Feb 023 300x225 A whole new houseToday

The new seamless half-round gutters look pretty snazzy, as well.   There’s still more we want to do to the front of the house, but that won’t happen until next summer.  We also (obviously) still have some cleaning up to do, and the old trim is still hanging out in our front yard, but it really is a vast improvement.  Needless to say, we’re thrilled with the results, and it feels like a completely different house.

Progress

We are finally half-way done with painting the house.  Thank goodness! This side took forever.  First it kept raining, then Tanner was sick for a week, then I got what Tanner had and was sick for a week.  But now we are making progress; what a relief!

Working on the house

When we got this house almost 3 years ago, we knew it needed work and were prepared to do most of it ourselves.  We’ve been working on the interior since before we moved in with Tanner doing some landscaping work here and there.  This summer we started tackling the exterior.  The paint on our siding was seriously chipping in a very bad way, and it made the whole house look like crap, to say the least.

Aug 2011 037 Working on the house

We spent months trying to figure out what kind of siding to do (and what color, but I’ll save that for later) when Tanner finally decided to just get a quote to see how much it would cost to get the siding installed instead of doing it ourselves.  The nice gentleman who came to see us on that buggy day told us that we shouldn’t take down the original wood clapboard siding just to replace it with more wood since ours was in good shape.  That made our decision for us.  Of course, the guy was trying to sell us HardiePlank siding, not to convince us to keep what we already had, but we weren’t really interested in spending $10,000.

A month or so after deciding to repaint our siding, we decided to start, armed with a heat gun called The Silent Paint Remover and loads of naïveté.  After 2 days of scraping, 1 day of priming, and 2 evenings of painting, we had 1 side of the house painted and a couple cases of exhaustion.  We had no idea how tough it really was going to be, but we just kept telling ourselves that we’re saving $10,000, and everything was fine.  We spent Labor Day weekend on side 2; the deluge of rain put a damper on our plans, but we should finish side 2 sometime next week.

Aug 2011 010 Working on the house

After 1 coat of primer…you’ll have to stay tuned to see the color we picked